Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2012 11:54:41 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of splitting out web components of lang/php5

Doug Barton ha scritto:
> What would make my life a whole lot simpler is if lang/php5 were the
> command line version, and the cgi and apache modules were separate
> ports. Is this feasible?

Short answer: no. Long answer: nothing is impossible ;-)
Extensions are compiled based on settings of the core php. If you split
core php in different ports, you end up with possibly many different
settings (e.g, standard CLI, debug CGI, threaded mod_php) and so it's
impossible to compile extensions that work for all SAPIs.
In an ideal world, the core php should compile only a shared library,
and the various SAPIs should link it.

--
Alex Dupre