Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:02:16 GMT
From:      john@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk (John Murphy)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster AWE64 Config problem

Andrew Johns wrote>
>As you can see from the mknod lines (above) there are several
>devices created, but none are named snd0.  They are mixer0,
>sequencer0, midi0, etc.  The 0 corresponds to the card - if
>you had two cards it would be sh MAKEDEV snd1 and it would
>create mixer1, sequencer1, etc.  Get the picture?
>
>HTH

I was puzzled by this too. It's clear now thanks Andrew.

rick hamell wrote>
>I think what is really my problem though, boot.conf was=20
>not there before I made it, the instructions say to put load -userconfig=
=20
>etc BEFORE autoboot... I can't seem to find anything on boot.conf....:(

Do you get the same sort of dmesg as Mike Harlan gets? Specifically the
> Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xf02c0000.
if you're using lower than 3.1 you have to add the pnp stuff manually by
stopping the boot with -c then type each line _carefully_. I'm running
3.0 Release with a.out not ELF; and this is just another reason to =
upgrade.

Just a thought (I am a newbie).

--=20
John.
Why do I always forget to press escape to skip the memory test?