Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:47:22 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Clint Olsen <clint.olsen@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hopefully an easy header rewriting problem for Postfix

Clint Olsen <clint.olsen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 07, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> The "myorigin" variable is what you need.  See postconf(5) for more
>> things you can do with it.
>>
>> (> myorigin (default: $myhostname)
>> (>       The domain name that locally-posted mail appears to come from, and that
>> (>       locally posted mail is delivered to. The default, $myhostname, is  ade-
>> (>       quate for small sites.  If you run a domain with multiple machines, you
>> (>       should (1) change this to $mydomain and (2) set up a domain-wide  alias
>> (>       database that aliases each user to user@that.users.mailhost.
>> (>
>> (>       Example:
>> (>
>> (>       myorigin = $mydomain
>
> Right, I have this set, yet it is still possible to have me send a mail
> using Mutt with my From: address set as "host.my.domain".  This works great
> for incompletely specified recipients and senders etc.  But I haven't
> figured out how to incorporate myorigin to rewrite all addresses that match
> a pattern to modify that (and only that) in the address.

Ah; sorry I misunderstood your aim.

I don't like doing this heavy-handed sort of rewriting, but the magic
keyword is "masquerade".  masquerade_classes, masquerade_domains, and
masquerade_exceptions give you a number of options.  I don't see any
way to be quite as sweeping as you're describing, but in my opinion
that's a good thing.