Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:02:38 +0100
From:      Reinhard Haller <reinhard.haller@interactive-net.de>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   Re: create a vnet jail in rc.conf

Bjoern A. Zeeb schrieb:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Reinhard Haller wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'm searching for a way to create vnet jails in rc.conf. I tried it with
>> jail_flags (-c vnet) with no success.
>>
>> The documentation is not very helpful, I'm missing the way to create the
>> vnet jail and I suspect the specification of an ipv6 address to the
>> epair in the jail is not working.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> vnets are not yet supported by the legacy jail management framework
> and will not.
> The plan is to have something different for when vimages are no longer
> "experimental" (tech preview, ... call it what you like to and what
> sounds good;).  Ideally for 8.2 but that's just a wild handwaving.

Wasting another year?
> I have some uncommented old notes lying around here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/jail-persist.txt
>
> The current ones are actually a lot more complex and no longer good
> examples.  Rather than using "persist" you can still give a command to
> start a jail starting all the rc framework etc. in it.
>
> /bz

I tried it with the following, but suffered intermittent routing
problems (route6d died and cannot be restarted):

   jail -c vnet name=d1 host.hostname=dns1.intern.de path=/jails/dns1
persist
   jail -c vnet name=d2 host.hostname=dns2.intern.de path=/jails/dns2
persist
   ifconfig bridge0 create
   ifconfig epair create
   ifconfig epair create
   ifconfig bridge0 addm epair0a addm epair1a up
   ifconfig epair0a inet6 fd08:e8a3:4825:10::1
   ifconfig epair0b vnet 1
   ifconfig epair1b vnet 2
   jexec 1 csh
   ifconfig epair0b inet6 fd08:e8a3:4825:10::10
   route -n add -inet6 default fd08:e8a3:4825:10::1
   exit
   jexec 2 csh
   ifconfig epair1b inet6 fd08:e8a3:4825:10::11
   route -n add -inet6 default fd08:e8a3:4825:10::1
   exit

Is this the way to get a stable vnet system?

Thanks
Reinhard