Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:42:41 +0000
From:      "Mark Lipham" <marklipham@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NIC Dilemna

I am having some serious difficulty getting my Netgear fa310 NIC to work or
any pnic chip card for that matter. I have freeBSD 4.2 powerpack and have
installed it. the system has a problem recognizing the card's ports and
memory range. the driver needed for my card i am told is the "dc" driver

i have run "dmesg | less" after booting and sure enough I saw my card listed
as dc0 however there are some error messages :

"dc0: couldn't map ports / memory
device_probe_and_attach: dc0 attach returned 6"

therefore when I ran ifconfig no nic was listed. I have also tried entering
userconfig right before the kernel starts, boot -c,  to manually try and set
paramaters but I see no appropiate drivers under the Network tab. so I
pulled out the card and looked for jumpers or swithces but there are none so
it looks like i need to configure my kernel to match the card. However, I am
not sure how to do this
any suggestions? Should I just scrap this card and get a more high end NIC
such as a  3Com 905?

thanks for your help
mark