Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:37:00 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Michael <map7@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: canon lbp-1210

Hello, Michael --- (format corrected)
Please wrap your lines at about 70
characters to help your post be more "friendly"
to those of us who use text-only MUA's on console
machines....

Michael wrote:

> I'm trying to get my canon lbp-1210 to work under freebsd, it
> doesn't have any emulation and seems to be a windows only
> printer.

Possibly correct, but IANAE and can't say for sure.

> Is there anyway to use windows drivers under freebsd for the printer?
> (EG: like the ndiswrapper is used to make windows network drivers
> work under freebsd)

I haven't heard of anything, but keep reading, if you will...

> When I plug in the printer to my freebsd4.10 machine into
> the USB slot it comes up as a 'ugen' which says to me that
> the computer doesn't know what the device is at all.  I've tried
> installing CUPs and looking for a suitable driver through CUPs
> but couldn't find one.  I'm now trying to find alternatives.

I would suggest trying aspfilter then, also in ports.

> The printer has USB and parallel and prints fine under windows.
> What about if I put a windows box as my printer server and is it
> possible to send printing through samba so that windows will
> catch it and convert it to the crappy printer of mine?
> (EG: RAW --> Canon LBP-1210 windows drivers).
>
> ~Michael

I do this at home via apsfilter (which automagically did most
of the Samba stuff for me) to a HP 6110 multi-function on an XP
box via Ethernet, so it might work for you, but YMMV....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey