Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:46:08 -0500
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Use of questions

I have been attached to freebsd-questions-digest for several =

years with occassional outages and I have taken a broad brush
analysis of what questions (hence problems) are most frequently
asked. My conclusions are the 2 most major topics are 1) =

installation related and 2) ppp related.

I think that this should surely tell us that either the documentation
or the mechanics related to installation are perhaps not what
they should be for installation and that probably due to the way
in which ISP's vary in there implementation is the most likely
cause in the case of 'ppp'.

In the case of installation problems it would seem to me that
there is a split namely a) first time installations b) upgrades.
a) here problems may be largely due to inexperience of UNIX
and is perhaps understandable, however, b) should in theory
not happen at all. The mere fact that users find that what
worked on one release doesn't work on the next is extremely
worrying if we wish industry to take FreeBSD seriously.

The 'ppp' problems are also of concern since the only real
authority on this (Brian@awfulhak.com ??) cannot be expected
to be a guru on every ISP's implementation. (I have to say that
having tried 3 ISP's in the UK I have not successfully managed
to get connected via ppp so I have stayed with compuserve -
it sickens me to say that MS$ can apparently do what I have
failed to do in FreeBSD). Shouldn't there perhaps be a task
force outside of freebsd-questions to build up some knowledge
of what is going on with ISP's ? (freebsd-ppp ???).

I have some other points to make but I will follow 'Greg's rule'
and stick to a single question.

Malcolm G. Boff