Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:29:16 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, des@FreeBSD.ORG, pb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linprocfs observation.

In message <200003272325.aa69356@salmon.maths.tcd.ie> David Malone writes:
: > File was removed because it was a huge, gaping security hole.  It was
: > effectively hard link to the file in question and circumvented some of
: > the usual security protections that the file would otherwise be
: > protected by.
:
: I know - AFAIK I was the one who reported it ;-)

So many bugs.  It is hard to put a face on them at times :-)

: > : Linux itself is not subject to this problem because it's exe file
: > : is a synthetic symlink pointing to the executable, not something
: > : which returns the executables actual vnode.
: >
: > And that's why it is still in the tree.  A symbolic link doesn't have
: > the security issues that the hard link has.
:
: I think I wasn't clear. The real Linux code doesn't have this problem,
: but the code in /usr/src/sys/miscfs/linprocfs, which was committed to
: 4.0 and 5.0 two days ago does.

Ah.  That's a good point.

: Given that libc is using it for something, it is probably important
: to provide a working one in linprocfs, preferably without the
: security hole!

Agreed.  I'm happy with just making it a symlink.

Warner