Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:35:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@toybox.cc.iastate.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root filesystem and -current

On Thu, 12 March 1998 at 18:24:28 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>   Hos something changed in -current during the past two weeks that would
> affect how the root filesystem is mounted?

Yes.

> The problem that I am seeing at the moment is with a new -current
> kernel, the root file system will fail to mount on boot.  Running
> mount with no arguments shows that / has the device 'root_device'
> mounted on it and not '/dev/sd0a' as I would aspect.  When I try to
> mount '/dev/sd0a' on / mount gives the error: "Specified device does
> not match mounted device.\n".  I will try recompiling mount in a
> moment.  Any other suggestions?

The big one: IF YOU ARE RUNNING -CURRENT, SUBSCRIBE TO THE
FREEBSD-CURRENT MAILING LIST!

This isn't the correct mailing list to discuss -current issues, and if
you don't read -current mail, you'll be surprised like this again.
I'm copying this to -questions, and not to -current, because there
might be more like you out there.

What has happened is relatively complicated: they've eliminated the
"compatibility slice", so you will no longer be able to mount
/dev/sd0a.  Use /dev/sd0s1a instead (in /etc/fstab).  Don't be put off
by the fact that it will then claim to mount /dev/sd0s2a; that's a
known bug.

Greg