Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 03:28:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld options listing?

Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> >
> > Tony Johnson writes:
> > > Check /etc/make.conf.  Also check /etc/default for default make options.
> > > The cc/gcc programs control switches with program builds.  As far as
> > > experimenting with optimization and debugging options , don't do it.  I've
> > > done this and it has done nothing but made unbootable kernels and core
> > > dumping programs.
> > The flags for make in /usr/src are listed at the top of
> > /usr/src/Makefile.inc1. The one you want is -DNOCLEAN.
> Thanks, I found it. I was thinking that they should be listed in the handbook or
> a tuturial until I found them and realized thats its mostly stuff that you can
> shoot yourself with. I do still think that -DNOCLEAN should be mentioned in the
> make world part of the docs, since that can be useful at times.

Well, I don't agree with you - because you NOCLEAN can also be
dangerous. However, if you really feel that way about it, figure out
where it should be mentioned (maybe the mention should just be a
pointer to where the list is?), and submit a pr with the changes added
to it. If the maintaines of wherever you think it should go agree with
you, it'll should go in.

	<mike