Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:59:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting per process swap space utilization like Solaris ulimit?

:Hi:
:
:Due to a problem with qmail running away, I'd like to be able to limit the
:per process swap space utilization under FreeBSD.
:
:How does one do this?
:
:Under Solaris ulimit provides a good interface to setting this limit, but
:I could find no such limit (either setable via a program, or a system
:call).
:
:Thanks.
:
:Bernie

    You can set the datasize resource limit

	apollo:/usr/src/sys# limit
	cputime         unlimited
	filesize        unlimited
	datasize        524288 kbytes	<----------
	stacksize       65536 kbytes
	coredumpsize    unlimited
	memoryuse       32768 kbytes
	descriptors     1024
	memorylocked    unlimited
	maxproc         200

    That's about as close as you can get.  Try setting it to something
    like 20m.

    The real solution is to figure out why qmail is blowing up in the first
    place.  If it's a matter of too many qmail processes running, that's
    a different problem that a per-process resource limit will not solve.
    I don't know what the solution under qmail is for that.  Under sendmail
    it's relatively easy to limit the maximum number of running sendmail
    processes through the MaxDaemonChildren option.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)