Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2020 05:49:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Return of config files to ^/etc

... trimmed ...
> Indeed- this is just one proposal. rgrimes had other concerns with
> leaving installation where it was previously moved to- he was going to
> raise this and other concerns here on -arch@, but I reckon he got a
> bit busy as well. I'm not opposed to moving the installation into
> ^/etc since we can still guarantee it'll get packaged correctly.

EBUSY, ietf interim meeting tomarrow, after that I have some cycles.

I am not so much opposed to having installs of the files spread
out so much, as long as both the old behavior and new behavior
BOTH work:
	cd /usr/src/etc; DESTDIR=/foo/bar make distribution

	vs

	what ever it is you have to do today to get a full prestine
	copy of /etc from base.

I support the idea that a module/package should be able to pkg
the config files BUTT a "make install" in any of them MUST not
smash my etc/ files unless I explicitly enable that some how.
I believe that is handled with make conf?

I also have a very large desire to see this MFC'ed back to stable/12
so that there are only 12.0 and 12.1 being the odd mans out so support
for this intermidiate state can be ended rather quickly.