Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 12:16:28 +0100
From:      "Marc Veldman" <lurkie@wxs.nl>
To:        quintin@smlt.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba troubles.

Hi Guys,

Not sure who posted the original question:

>> >I'm having a few problems with samba, I've setup the `smb.conf' to share
>> >the user home directorys this works great and a *public* area where all
>> >the lan users save there files.
>> >
>> >The problem:
>> >
>> >When user Mike saves a file in *public* `/home/samba/public' the file
>> >automaticly sets the uid,gid to mike.mike, this means that user joe
>> >doesn't have write access to Mike's files even if there public??
>> >
>> >This problem is screwing up our accounting software :-( does anyone know
>> >of a solution to this?

>From man smb.conf:

force user (S)
This specifies a user name that all connections to this service should be made as. This may be useful for
sharing files. You should also use it carefully as using it incorrectly can cause security problems.
This user name only gets used once a connection is established. Thus clients still need to connect as a valid
user and supply a valid password. Once connected, all file operations will be performed as the "forced
user", not matter what username the client connected as.
Default:
no forced user
Example:
force user = auser

there is also a 'force group', and a 'force create mode'.

Hope this helps,

Marc Veldman