Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:51:11 +0200
From:      Lorenzo Cogotti <miciamail@hotmail.it>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>, Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Providing a default graphical environment on FreeBSD

Il 17/09/2012 19:26, Adrian Chadd ha scritto:
> What are you trying to achieve?
>
> Are you trying to write a set of utilities for FreeBSD that are GUI in
> nature? And you'd like to know which toolkit is "blessed" for a
> consistent, integrated feel and development environment?
>

> Adrian

Right now I was interested in creating a desktop oriented automounter,
in order to experiment with devd (I don't know if something useful will
actually come out of it). I then faced the problem that there are lots
of GUI toolkits, lots of scenarios to take into account, lots of desktop
environments available, basically the problem is the same that Linux has
with its non existing userland.

I think every developer willing to create an utility could feel
overwhelmed by this task, since it's either facing a terrible work to
integrate well with any desktop environment, or selecting one of them
leaving the others alone.
Not to mention that integrating with any desktop environment would mean
delivering a solution that could be unable to fully take advantage of
any desktop.
Given the fact that FreeBSD will never be supported "in a spontaneous
way" by the major open source desktop projects, I thought FreeBSD could
simply select one of them, "blessing it" if you will. The purpose is
simplifying the job of  anyone willing to support FreeBSD as a desktop.
There could be resources, examples, documentation and guidelines at
their disposal.
This would make the effort of supporting FreeBSD less significant, as
well as allowing better integration and consistent feel of the offered
utilities.

Anything more than that depends on how much effort the FreeBSD project
wants to put into this, delivering a default desktop installation,
providing a customized version of the environment, and so on...
A FreeBSD project (like geli or gpart) could even go as far as providing
an official GUI utility next to the text based utility, without hoping
for the specific desktop project to provide it (like devd integration).

--
Lorenzo Cogotti