Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:50:25 -0400
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: Is 'zpool add' really irreversible?

--xltGncTbbcbUDH6eXBomWTXanUvTV2u6g
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--Xo2max1P0fP3ReMaEeAQc5H5rrm62jthQ

On 12/06/2016 18:14, Yuri wrote:
> On 06/12/2016 14:58, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:
>> `zpool add` adds*virtual*  devices to a*pool*, while `zfs attach` adds=

>> physical devices to a mirrored device. So individual disks can be adde=
>> to and removed from mirrored virtual devices, but virtual devices cann=
ot
>> be removed from a pool.
>=20
>=20
> Thank you for your answer. I see that ZFS is designed this way.
>=20
> But I can't say I like this part of ZFS design. Because this isn't a
> physical disk with the set size, but a combination of disks. People may=

> reasonably want to remove some disks in some layouts, due to failures,
> etc, and ZFS just lacks the flexibility to do that.

You should have seen Matt Ahren's talk at BSDCan this year.  (It might
be available on YouTube in the next few days -- depends if it was
livestreamed or not.  Unfortunately, while there were lecture 4 tracks,
there was only one set of video kit to livestream with...)

Suffice it to say though that there is already fix for those 'Oh No! I
really didn't mean to type "zfs add" there' moments in the upstream
OpenZFS repo, which will be coming to a FreeBSD repository near you Real
Soon Now.  You get a grace period within which you can undo that sort of
mistake.

	Cheers,

	Matthew