Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:22:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin levels today?

> I went on a support call this morning, for a mail gateway/web proxy I
> installed a couple of weeks back.  The customer in question is a
> software development house; the BSD system is in a room full of
> Decstations and SCO boxen on which they do their work.
>
> I spent an hour of my time, as well as that of three of their
> developers and one of the directors teaching them :
>
> 	How to edit the /etc/aliases file to forward mail.
>
> Unbelievable.

I hope you charged well.

BTW -- I found that application developers were less likely to learn the
administrative workings of their systems then tech support types or
helpdesk types.

If they're lucky they hire a good competent admin and keep the coders coding
instead of trying to figure out how to make rsh or tcpip or uucp work.
It saves a lot of money.

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.