Date:        Thu, 11 May 2000 08:22:53 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Mark Johnston <mark.johnston@home.com>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE installation: can't see my hard drive

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 12:38:11AM -0500, Mark Johnston wrote:
> [...]

I have got that controller too. And no, it is not working quite as well as
it should be under 4.0. (While it works fine under 3.4)
(Something that might be related to the problem is that FBSD (mis)detects it
as a SiS 5591 controller. I think SiS reused the chip-id from the 5513 when
they made the 5591 but I don't know if they are actually 100% compatible.)

I have got it working fine but that involved using the 'wd' driver instead
of the default new 'ata' driver. (And a small hack in the source to persuade
it not to try to use UDMA.)

I did get it to work with the 'ata' driver too by rearranging the disks a bit
but that meant no DMA on my big, fast disk :-(
A tip that might (or might not) work. Put some disk that is *not* UDMA
capable as primary master, and the CDROM on the secondary controller.
(something like that worked for me.)

(No, I haven't sent in a PR yet. I intend to do so (with a more detailed bug
report) RSN.)