Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 09:31:22 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        ecerejo@zapo.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to enable IP Forwarding

Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>I have one NIC and I'm using a dialup connection.  Here's the output:
>>
>>fxp0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>        ether 00:a0:c9:d9:7b:97
>>        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
>>        status: no carrier
>>

> status: no carrier and media (none) means that your fxp0 interface
> thinks it is not connected to any network. Maybe you have bad cable?
> You need to fix this before you can get any further.
>
> Once that problem is solved, I *think* you need to assign a
> non-routable IP address to fxp0 and another address on the same
> network to your laptop. But I'll leave explaining the details to
> someone who has actually used FreeBSD to share PPP connection - I've
> never done it myself.

Yes.  I suggest using 172.16.0.1 for the gateway and other 172.16.0.*
addresses for any network clients. That range of IP addresses seems to
be the least often used (in my experience) and often ISPs use
private IPs for some of their routers and it can cause problems.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology