Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:15:39 -0500
From:      "Jay West" <jwest@classiccmp.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why are IPC message queues incredibly slow?

I'm writing a rather major project under FreeBSD, and making fairly heavy
use of message queues so that multiple processes can communicate. I am
finding the response times for message delivery between two given processes
to be pretty horrid, typically about 1 second per message set (send query
from process A to process B, then process B sends a response back to process
A and process A displays the response).

Before I contemplate switching to named pipes or writing my own
communications structure in shared memory, can someone tell me if there is
anything that can be tuned in the kernel perhaps, or anything that will
speed up message queue processing?

THANKS!

Jay West

---