Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 00:08:32 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Evan Tsoukalas <evan@falcon.sourcee.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO 505TS

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 01:05:07PM -0400, Evan Tsoukalas wrote:
> I have seen a lot of email on the list about the Sony VAIO line, but
> it's sometimes hard to follow what works with what.  Has anyone
> gotten any snapshot of 4.0-current to run successfully on a Sony
> VAIO 505 SuperSlim (PCG-505TS), including pccard support and
> advanced power management?

Assuming the 505TS is very similar to my 505TX, yes.  With a couple of
patches, it works just fine.  No problems with APM, suspend,
hibernate..  pccard works (although all I have tested it with is the
ep driver).  Even the USB works, and with a few patches it doesn't
panic when a device is unplugged.  If I understand correctly, both the
PCCARD and USB systems are expecting major rewrites soon, but there
are currently enough workarounds available to survive until the new
architectures are ready.

Now I would really like to get the IrDA working, at least in SIR mode.
It is detected by sio, but doesn't seem to transmit or receive.  I
think it might just need to be powered up somehow.

> I realize that the internal modem is probably a winmodem, and I also

On the 505TX at least, I was pleasantly suprised to find that the
internal modem actually works.  It doesn't appear to be a winmodem;
I was able to get 44k connects with plain old "cu" and "ppp".

> I wonder if loading FreeBSD off the pccard cdrom is possible.

About that I have no idea.  I didn't bother with the cdrom.. just
plugged in a 3C589 and did a network install.

> I need to run a dual-boot setup because I have a cellular modem that
> is not yet supported (and may never be), and I am wondering if that
> is going to cause any headaches (like it did with the Compaq 1675 I
> have).

Other than the usual headaches of switching back and forth, I don't
see why it would be a problem.  I don't know, since I did not accept
the Windows license.  All that's on my machine is FreeBSD.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/