Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 00:06:56 +0000
From:      FreeBSD Ports Management Team Secretary <portmgr-secretary@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Blanket approval to modernize the Ports Tree

In years gone by, and I am thinking of FreeBSD 7.0 specifically, portmgr@
gave some latitude to *ALL* committers to "just fix things" to get a port
into shape.  In the case of 7.0, it was making ports build for gcc4.

What we have laying ahead of us is a ports tree in various states of modern
preparedness (new style USES=, stagefication, etc) and the old way of doing
ports (boo!).

We would like committers, and contributors to generate a PR and/or "just
fix" the old ports to update them to the new way of doing things regardless
of maintainership.  We are looking for fixes in the following areas

- Convert to LIB_DEPENDS
- stagify ports
- convert things like USE_GMAKE -> USES=gmake USE_DOS2unix -> USES=dos2unix
  etc.

This can be done with implicit portmgr@ blanket approval, and without
maintainer approval.

Please, however, respect some boundaries, do not change ports belonging to
kde@, gnome@ or x11@.  These teams work in private repos that may have
changes pending.

Also, cross reference GNATS, to see if a port has an open PR that you can
factor into the fix.  It is important to stress here that we *DO NOT* want
to invalidate existing patches that a maintainer has offered up or already
approved.

If the change is very trivial AND has been tested, "just fix it".  One of
the strengths of the Ports Collection is it's volunteer maintainers, if you
make a change, regardless of how trivial, just send a courtesy email to the
maintainer.

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2014/01/07/blanket-approval-to-modernize-the-ports-tree/