Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:33:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg2@cm-24-142-61-17.cableco-op.ispchannel.com>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Itanium

Yesterday I went to a talk, actually a CS class open to the public,  at
Stanford University where a team from HP, VA Linux and others presented
the IA-64 Kernal architecture for Linux.  A new native, no legacy code,
kernal, fully IA-64 with backward compatibility for almost all IA-32
applications.  Ran a demo on a server setup with the Itanium chip.

This project has been a two year effort well funded by a number of
companies.  At least three distributions will be available when the
chipset is released.

Jeff