Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 2014 09:44:31 +0100
From:      Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Add and armv7hf TARGET_ARCH

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 21:24:30 -0700
John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> Andrew Turner wrote this message on Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 22:41 +0100:
> > On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 10:30:45 -0700
> > John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Andrew Turner wrote this message on Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:46
> > > +0100:

> > > So, what are the specific pros of having a new arch?  I see you
> > > talk about Thumb-2 support, but are there other advantages?  Will
> > > we get significant performance boosts?  What?
> >
> > We would get a significant speed improvement for anything that uses
> > floating-point. I haven't done extensive tests, but Ian was getting
> > around 30x-34x improvement by using the vfp on one benchmark [1].
> > I've seen a sight improvement of around 3-5 MFlops on his numbers
> > on my board.
> >
> > I expect there to be a slight performance improvement from being
> > able to use the newer ARMv7 instructions, however this will be less
> > pronounced than the above floating-point improvement.
> >
> > There are also a number of NEON optimised libc functions we could
> > make use of, for example [2]. While we may be able to use them on
> > armv6 it becomes simpler if we can assume we have a NEON unit.
>
> Don't we already have armv6hf for hardware float?  What is the
> difference between armv6hf and armv7hf?  or is this 30x-34x
> improvement over armv6hf?

My plan is to replace the armv6hf with armv7hf. The difference between
the two is, on armv7hf we can assume newer floating-point instructions
including the NEON SIMD instructions.

The performance improvement above was changing from the soft to softfp
ABI. Softfp allows the compiler to generate vfp code, but will pass
floating-point data between functions in the integer registers.

It has been reported on some cores moving data between the vfp and arm
registers can cause both to stall for at least 20 cycles [1]. While
armv7hf doesn't remove the need to move between groups of registers
completely it will reduce the need due to the calling convention.

Andrew

[1] http://pandorawiki.org/Floating_Point_Optimization