Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:11:25 -0500
From:      "Glenn McCalley" <techlist@bnetmd.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to tell what ran what

> >> Each process is associated with a parent; look at the ppid column:
> >>
> >>    ps axo user,pid,ppid,command
> >>
> >> Björn
> >>

> > Thanks, I stated the question poorly.  My fault.
> > Is historical info available and is it available by file name?
> >
> > I trying to find out (for example) what (unknown) program ran another
> > (known) program between 0900 and 1000 yesterday - something like that.
> >
> > I've got a customer sending our emails that he shouldn't - I don't know
> > which customer it is.  The program that sends the mail is running as a
cgi
> > so it all shows up as user "nobody".
> >
> > If I can get a list of what programs, path and file name, called
sendmail
> > over (say) the last 24 hours, one of them should jump off the page with
an
> > unreasonable level of activitiy.
> >

> The web server logs don't tell you anything in the URL data?  A CGI script
> usually has some parameters which might provide some assistance.
>
> brian
>

> --
> Brian Sobolak
> http://www.planetshwoop.com/

Thanks Brian, that's already tonights project to run through those logs and
see if anything jumps out there.  What I think he might be doing is either
POSTing the parameters (which won't show up) or he's loaded a file of email
addresses and just triggers the mailer with a simple cgi request.  Either
way he's got to be calling sendmail or mail to get it out the door I
believe.
Thanks!
Glenn.