Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:17:06 +0200
From:      Marius Korsmo <marius@korsmo.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld fails in openssl/colldef [SOLVED]

It took two weeks to fix this problem, and therefore I do have a few questions.

The error turned out to be in err.h. The file located in /usr/include was
totally different from the one located in /usr/src/include.

< /*-
<  * Copyright (c) 1993
<  *The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
---
> /* crypto/err/err.h */
> /* Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com)
>  * All rights reserved.

You can see the entire diff at http://pastebin.com/322918

My question is: I deleted /usr/src, and I cvsup'ed everything. When I do a make
buildworld, why does not the new err.h get copied from /usr/src/include to
/usr/include? This would have solved my problem two weeks ago :)

Does err.h get copied only when you do a make installworld?

Another question, why on earth did I have an old version of err.h? I was running
5.4 RELEASE, and it was installed from an ISO downloaded at FreeBSD.org
I installed FreeBSD on another server, using the same CD I believe, and it
worked fine (no old err.h). Does anyone have any idea where I might have gotten
that old err.h file from? I don't think the file came from any ports I
installed, since I install all ports to default location /usr/local.
Any idea where that old err.h came from?