Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:28:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, weasel@impulse.net
Subject:   Re: problems running programs

>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:48:47 -0800
>From: Victor Breen <weasel@impulse.net>

>I set up my .bashrc file with my paths, but it will not run the programs
>I need to run.  I can't use "startx" unless I'm in /usr/X11R6/bin and
>type ./startx , but then it tells me it can find xinit

Given the above symptoms, it sounds as if "bash" isn't the shell you're
using.  Different shells have different initialization files (and
syntaxes for setting the execution search path environment variable).

>Please help... the book "the complete freebsd" isn't helping me at all
>because it doesn't have anything remotely near my problem.  And a friend
>of mine had the exact same thing happen to him.

Pp. 151-152 of the 2nd ed. of said book have an overview of various
common shells & their respective initialization files; p. 151 shows
examples of setting the PATH variable in different syntaxes.

Could you verify that you are logging in with a particular (identified)
shell, and that you're using an initialization file appropriate for that
shell?

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621