Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 02:30:22 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Alfred <perlsta@hotjobs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 06:47:25PM -0400, Alfred wrote:
> this is the third time freebsd has decided that wd0s1b wasn't "comfy"
> enough for a crashdump and ate a different partition while dumping.

> also, anyone have something i can do to get a dump of my partitions to
> examine why it's confusing the crashdump mechanism?

A few questions that maybe might help to sort this out (You can mail these
answers to me if you want me to check them):

Is that swap partition at least 64K bigger than the amount of RAM you have?
  (It is good to make at least one swap partition ~25-50% bigger than physical
   ram if you have multiple swap partitions.. and at least twice as big if
   you have only one swap partition).

Does /usr and the swap device overlap (check 'disklabel wd0s1', /usr is usually
  on the next partition after the swap partition in the default install)?
  (size + offset should be equal to the offset of the next used partition)

check what 'dumpon -v /dev/wd0s1b' says.
make sure 'sysctl kern.dumpdev' matches.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have to at least consider