Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 1995 16:09:09 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: CVS stuff

<<On Mon, 16 Jan 95 23:49:20 MST, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:

> What does siting message by number have to do with not citing message
> by English Message Text?  !a => b?  That's a logical fallacy.

Because if you're trying to figure out what the !@#$%^ is wrong when
somebody complains, you need to know what the REAL message is.  You
can either put the messages in English, so that everybody understands,
or you can stick on message numbers.

> It makes no sense to be able to display Russian, for instance, if none
> of the data on the system is Russian text!

If you want some Russian text, you go into your editor and generate
it.  I'm certain that Andrew has lots of Russian text.  This does not
mean that it is a good idea to have system programs printing out
messages in languages which are not understood by the program
maintainers.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.