Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:33:07 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

>>My guess is you have either a hardware problem or one of you
>>enemies has figured out a way to crash your system.
>
>I am 100% convinced that it is *neither*.
>
>The problem only arises when the IMRSS scanner program is running full
>blast, at its maximum rate.

>I suspect that perhaps I don't have the kernel configured for a deep
>enough interrupt stack or something like that.  (The system sometimes
>has to handle in the neighborhood of 4K response packets coming back
>almost simultaneously.)

Have you looked for clues in /var/log/messages ?
Have you considered the possibility of memory leaks in your software?

>You are correct, sir, that no one at Cornell asked us to check for open mail
>relays at Cornell.  But I would counter with these two points:
>
>     o	No one at Cornell asked the spammers to do this either, but
>	that doesn't seem to have slowed THEM down any.  (We do have
>	on file some spam that was relayed thru open mail servers at
>	Cornell.)

We're quite aware of the spammers' activity without your "help".  We're
working on it, and yes, we have slowed them down, a lot, again without
your "help".

>     o	Despite the fact that you did not ask for our help in securing
>	your network against mail relay hijacking, the available evidence
>	indicates that you _do_ in fact need our help, as you have something
>	like 120 unsecured mail servers at Cornell.

It's a big, decentralized place.  We're working on it.  Your project
hasn't "helped" in the least.  At least ORBS sends courtesy mail when
they find a problem.  That has actually helped.

>Likewise in the case of unsecured mail
>servers.  Running these things is like leaving a loaded gun on your patio
>while small children play nearby.

You've been playing too many video games.  Spammers are bad but they
haven't killed anyone yet.

>>Except we didn't ask for your "help".
>
>Well, if it is any consolation, we aren't charging you for it.

Well I'm not charging for FreeBSD help, either.  But I also didn't
probe your system and offer it.  I waited until you asked.

-Mitch