Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:41:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to deal with python & gnome-python ?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:

> I'm not familiar with python, so I simply have no idea how to solve the
> following problem ...
>

> $ pybliographic
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/pybliographer", line 161, in ?
>     execfile (filename, user_global)
>   File "/usr/local/share/pybliographer/pybliographic.py", line 26, in ?
>     from gtk import *
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py", line 21, in ?
>     import _gtk
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/_gtkmodule.so:
> Undefined symbol "GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR"

The _gtk Python extension module (part of PyGTK) doesn't match the GTK
libraries you have; specifically it was compiled and linked against a
version of the GTK libs that exported the GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR symbol.

The reason this won't show up until runtime (ie PyGTK will build OK) is
the way Python dynamically loaded extensions are linked - unresolved
externals are allowed, so that when Python loads the extension the
references back into Python itself can be resolved by the dynamic link
loader.

You will need to update/rebuild one or both of the PyGTK and GTK ports, or
download the latest matching versions of the respective packages.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia