Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:42:25 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

According to Doug:
> > variables,
>
> 	Errr... Not sure what you mean by this one.

Many variables to control features and shell behaviour, some coming from tcsh
and new to zsh, examples :

setopt auto_list
setopt auto_menu
setopt always_to_end
setopt always_last_prompt
setopt append_history
setopt auto_remove_slash
setopt extended_glob
setopt glob_complete
setopt hist_ignore_dups
watch=(all)

> 	How fancy do you want? :) Take a look at
> http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/Bash-prompts.txt.

Is this a contest ? :)

Here is mine (zsh / tcsh):

    PS1="%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%2.%(#.#.>)%b "
    export PS1
-=-=-
    set prompt="%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%.2%#%b "

> 	Heh, "It's different" is a good description of how people usually
> criticize things. Also, most of the key bindings are configurable,
> including built in emacs and vi modes.

Different from both tcsh and zsh (at least in emacs mode). The defaults suit
me more in both of these than in bash.

> 	Personally I think this is another plus in bash's favor.

You should care if you write scripts with the shell where I mostly use the
sell only for interactive purposes. Most of my scripting is done in more or
less pure sh if less than 10 lines and in Perl if more :)

> 	Note that I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I do like to
> promote factual discourse. If you think this is bad, try comp.unix.shells.

I know the group :)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #72: Mon Jul 12 08:26:43 CEST 1999