Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:42:37 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "Thyer, Matthew" <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, "Wilkinson, Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, fclift@verio.net, alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0 (fwd)

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 05:38:22PM +0200, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:48:32AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > >
> > > Last I checked, the GENERIC kernel still had many network drivers.
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be possible to put all of those modules on another floppy ?
> > >
> > > Dont worry about implementing interactive module loading for now.... we could just load
> > > them all from the additional floppy under control of the loader.
> >
> > *sigh*  THIS IS WHAT WE DO ALREADY.  PLEASE LOOK AT WHAT WE DO NOW.
> >
> > (getting tired of saying the same thing over and over and over)
>
> Sorry, for intruding to your discussion guys, but IIRC out loader has
> functionality to load one module (kernel.ko for example :) from few
> flopies. At least it worked well for i386 and quite may work -alpha too.
>
> Did you tried to split kernel into two chunks and load it from two
> flopies instead of striping kernel size over years ? :-)

I'm personaly quite happy with the descision - with removing floppy
support LCA support can get back into 5.0 GENERIC.
This is an old discussion reintroduced everytime the kernel does not
fit anymore - now there is nothing left to remove.
This clearly shows that noone had enough interest to do the coding.
I believe most alpha machines out there just have a cd drive to
install.
If you provide a working patch to what you are proposing there is no
reason not to implement it.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de