Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Tim Ryder <jawse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The joys of Windows

Whether you realize it or not, Greg had done a good deal for the
community, and deserves your respect.

I, on the other hand, am here to chat, learn, and laugh.

***

Everyone here doen't hate windows. Some may thoroughly disklike the whole
mess, but hate is word small children use.

After you've spent years of your life supporting a product, you begin to
feel like you have something invested it it.

I felt bad when Netware was shouldered out of the way for NT AS.
I felt bad when Desqview was shouldered out the way for windows.
I felt bad when OS/2 was shouldered out of the way for windows.

I felt bad when Amiga went under. Why couldn't it have been Apple instead?
(Why Curt Cobain? Why not Axl Rose instead?)

I felt bad when CP/M was shouldered out of the way for DOS.

I felt bad when bootp was made into dhcp.
I felt bad when kerebos was made proprietary.

But anymore, I don't care. The last money I spent on a Microsoft product
was MS-DOS 4.0 for my Amiga 500's hardware-based pc-xt emulator.

I could see where people could get attached to windows. People tend to
bond to what was prevalent when they were young. Why else would people
drive hondas?

Attempting to subvert kerebos was the last straw for me. I just won't
suffer fools anymore. It doesn't ever pay to try and help a windows
zealot. They never listen, and It hard to wash the slime off afterwords.
At some point, Bill needed to stop being a greedy child, and become an
adult.

But that time is long since past. He's used everything he can find to his
own advantage, and given very little back.

I won't be a part of it anymore.

If the company I'm working for puts a windows box on my desk, then so be
it. Just give me a good terminal emulator, and leave me alone. The real
work happens on the UNIX boxes anyway.

***

Anyone else here feel like Linx is getting that way these days too?=20

You think you've wandered into a "Misfits of Science" cast reunion, only
to find its a Linux user group.

My guess is that parents all over the country have a brief respite, when
their former OS/2 junkie grown children, leave the house for a few hours a
month.

And no, I'm not talking about Linus. The guys at slashdot maybe, but not
Linus.

***

Closed hardware lost. Open hardware won.

Large economy of scale processors are winning. Will the PowerPC and
PA-RISC go the way of MIPS?

***

My big beef with the "X Windows System" is that it is just hideously ugly.

What is it going to take for X to pick a good refresh rate without wading
through all possible modelines?

After all these years, why does it still look like crap?

All of the BSD or Linux based distributions I've seen suffer from "X
hesitation syndrome".

If I put 400MHz of processor under a system with a good video card, why
do I always have to watch GUI elements update?

X is a turd, and it smells a little worse every day. Give it up.

Yes, Windows is sad, but X is a crying shame.
=20

And before someone brings out that old tired saw about "X" running great
on low end 486 systems with small amounts of RAM, let me say that yes my
tired old 486sx25 laptop looks great with W3.1 on it.

***

The road of MicroSoft's journey is littered with the bodies of its
traveling party.

Its armories are full of weapons purchased from those it would rather not
fight.

Its larders are, well, full of lard.

The band of merry men that make up the FreeBSD camp do rob from the rich.
They take perls of wisdom from anywhere they can. Most of what they give
is their own blood and sweat.

But who wants to live in a forest full of dirty old men?

You'll find varieties of little john, Robin Hood, the whole bunch. Err
would that make Jordan.. Nah..)

Its hard to find anyone who hasn't felt Bill's knife at their throat, or
dagger in their back.

And on the other end their is Stallman? Who would he be?

I know, bad analogy....

***

I've not often approached a situation where UNIX or its tools fail me. I
can say the same thing for MicroSoft.

The differenc is that I have learned wisdom to expect almost nothing from
Microsoft products.

***

I can't emphasize enough the importance of using good parts and
applications. I usually have good uptimes on both system types. I
attribute good uptimes to not putting crappy applications on my systems.

I get tired of trying to explain why its not rational to expect good
results from a 2$ PCI network card.

Whine with me: "But it works in wondows...".

So go to cheapbytes and get RedHat!

***

Good uptime means different things on different platforms.

My FreeBSD uptime is limited to the frequency of my stupid
mistakes. Typically I go a month or so between bouts of fatigue induced
stupor. (My FreeBSD box lives at home.)

In the case of Solaris, some obscure math involving the number of NFS
clients involved and the amount of free RAM. Typically a week or two.

On AIX, its usually some function of the size of a database's memory leak,
and the amount of free RAM. Typically a few weeks to a month. (We have a
reboot cycle.)

On W95, my uptime is two times the average interval between new
applications, the length of time between Netware server reboots, or the
interval between me logging off, whichever is greater. Typically a day or
two.

Yes, going through a day on W95 without a crash seems right to me.

***

What kind of crack is Sun smoking? Java can't be that counter intuitive,
and still be a good thing. I'm not programming in the closet, if I can't
tell people what language I write in without fear of lawsuits, then screw
it!

ATI would pimp their mother for a dollar! Why do people buy their
worthless video cards?

What kind of imbeciles run the show at 3Dfx? Why did they give their
business away to Nvidia?

Why is the average published author an idiot? Are all publishers morons?

With windows being a moving target, will the Wine team eventually get to
full windows 3.1 compatibility?

***

Fun stuff.