Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:23:35 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>, Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who has been pissing Tucows off ?

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:48:59PM +0000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > FreeBSD is mature enough to withstand and reply to inaccurate comments.
> > Or is it to remain an esoteric market forever ?
>
> I've been thinking about tucows and the *BSD section (or the linux
> section, but that is due to the different linux versions a little
> more difficult to defend).
>
> Why is something like tucows needed for the windows-area? Because
> there is no central managed repository for windows software.
> download.net and tucows.com are just giant repositories in which
> people dump their software and say "here it is". There is no checking
> on it, there are no de-installation requirements, there is no
> central place to which you can go and ask "he, I have a problem
> with xyz version a.b, who has that also" before you go hassle the
> author.
>
> The *BSD and linux-guys are a little more userfriendly because of
> their central managed repository. There is checking on the software
> if it installs, if it de-installs properly, there is a mailing-list
> related to it if you have problems with it and so on. If a new
> version is release, the people responsible for the OS will pick it
> up, check it out to see if it all works and put it into their
> system.

Well, I think you are making a very well-argued case in some sense.
However I believe that visibility kindles interest. Tucows is one
of the first places people look for stuff. and if it is on a ver
local mirror they may just be tempted to take a peek.
It certainly does no harm to have FBSD available from common
Internet watering holes !

Cliff