Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl5 ports - how to name.

I'm about to commit a dozen perl5 ports, with many more to come.  I'd like
comments on the naming scheme I should use for both the directory and
PKGNAME.

Perl5 references it's modules. using double colons, an allowable character
in a filename.  The module that deals with routines mimicking ctime()
would be called Time::CTime.  This is how you include them in source, and
it's how module authors refer to them in dependancy lists.

I would like to use this in the package, and preferably the directory
name, prefixed by perl5:

So, the above module's PKGNAME would be perl5:Time::CTime.  It looks ugly,
but with the possibilty of 100+ ports, they need to be sectioned off
somehow .  Making a new directory for them is out, so this is the next
best thing.

In the case of collections of modules (such as one that includes multiple
sub-modules of Time::, the port would just be called "perl5::Time".  In
the case of ones that span multiple modules (including URL:: and URI:: and
Net:: for example), I'd suggest using "perl5::libwww" (in this case
derived from the distfile, libwww-perl.

I'd also like to call the directory the same thing, but this one I'm sure
I'll catch flack on.  Suggestions are welcome - I can't think of a good
alternative.

So, please cut up everything I've suggested.  I'd like to make everyone
happy here, but I doubt it's going to happen, so let's get all ideas in
the open now.

Thank-you for your time.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |