Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34908: libpng port makes bad dynamic library on -CURRENT

The following reply was made to PR ports/34908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To: "Michael D. Harnois" <mharnois@cpinternet.com>
Cc: obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>,
	"Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>,
	Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>,
	current@FreeBSD.ORG,
	"freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD. Org" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>,
	vova@sw.ru
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:58:39 -0800

 "Michael D. Harnois" wrote:
 > > I believe the intent is to ensure that the patches make it
 > > back into the FSF distributed code, so that in the future,
 > > there is less maintenance required for FreeBSD platforms.
 >
 > This is all wonderful.
 >
 > But then it seems to me that the entire new binutils should have been
 > backed out until it worked. Just like XFree-4.2.0 was backed out.

 Feel free to tilt at your windmills, all you want; I'm
 personally busy with other windmills; I was just pointing
 out what I thought was the rationale.

 FWIW: it *does* work on Intel, it's just Alpha that's in
 the dumps.  The currently accepted fix is to use the older
 code until all the problems are out of there.

 -- Tery