Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:18:40 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>, Grant Beckerleg <grant@vbc.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT's Storage Manager and FreeBSD

spork wrote:

> Is there any way to tell that the DPT has lost a disk without physically
> seeing the blinking lights or hearing the piercing siren?  I have one of
> these about to be shipped out to a colo, and I have no idea how I'm going
> to tell if the thing needs attention.
>
> I suppose I could mount the speaker external and hope it annoys someone
> enough that they'll call the number on the cage, but...

Or you could tie the bleeper to the Carrier Detect, or some other line on a
spare serial or Parallel port... We've toyed with doing that here, but not
gotten round to it (and we can hear the bleeper from our offices :)

You then run a daemon on the system that checks to see if the connection is
high, or low...

If you are going to take this route - take care, don't just hook it up :-) -
Research first, or you could damage the port / DPT...

-Kp