Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:58:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   trouble w/ network when trying to install

I bought a new machine recently.  It is a PPro 200 machine.  I made the
boot floppy, started the install, chose FTP to be the media and set up the
networking.  I chose the same gateway, name server etc as the machine I'm
writing this from and used the new machine's address.

However, when the machine tries to get out of the network it dies.
Looking at the pseudo-terminal I find the following message:

	de0: link down:  cable problem?

The network card I'm using presently is a PCI Ether16 LAN combo card,
and I'm using the twisted pair connection.  Sysinstall seems to correctly
identify the card. The data light on the card is blinking so the
connection to the outlet seems okay.  I also know the machine's IP address
is good as it was in use only 2 days ago and nothing's changed since.

In case more info is needed, the machine is a Digitial PWS200i.  It uses
the Intel Natoma motherboard.

The machine came w/ WinDoZe NT 3.51 and it also can't find the card
although I feel even less sure of any diagnostics from that as I have
purposefully prevented myself from gaining any WinDoZe knowledge.  :-)

Any one got any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/