Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:12:55 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

Terry Lambert said on Jul 10, 2002 at 16:43:37:
> Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > > I am refusing to go from 4.x to 5.x; or from 4.4 to 4.6.  Whichever.
> > > The important part is my refusal to change for the sake of change.
> >
> > Then you'd have to convince the FreeBSD security people to issue fixes
> > for all branches, back to 1.0 or earlier, no?  (Equivalently, to
> > support version 4.4 until the year 2038.)  I still don't see your
> > argument for packaging components of the base system.  A binary from
> > FreeBSD 7.3 in 2006 is unlikely to work on your FreeBSD 4.4 system.
> >
> > Microsoft did support Windows 95 for a long time, but they have a
> > rather less aggressive release schedule.
>
> No, all I'd have to convince them to do is release fixes for the
> varios packages.  I can install a different OpenSSH in my system,
> if OpenSSH is just another component.  All I have to care about is
> binary backward compatability, and that's taken care of by the
> dependency tracking.

(a) You're still bitten by major incompatible changes in OpenSSH which
could screw up your setup (config files etc, as you pointed out).

(b) What about the C library, the toolkit, the rest of the "base" system?
Would you like those to be packages too?

In that case, I think gentoo linux's "portage" setup is just for you.
The entire system is a collection of "ports" (or, to use their
terminology, "ebuilds"), plus the kernel.  I like it, but it's clear
to me that I wouldn't trust such a thing on a server.  It's for people
who like the "bleeding edge" and such a terminology as "gentoo 1.2 +
bugfixes" has no meaning: each component is upgraded separately to the
point where it becomes gentoo 1.3, etc.

Either you have nondisruptive bugfixes, or you have potentially
disruptive upgrades.  You can't have guaranteed-nondisruptive
upgrades.  And nondisruptive bugfixes are typically not supplied for
outdated packages, so eventually you have to upgrade.  In your
example, you're at the mercy of not only the FreeBSD team but also the
OpenSSH team.  As of now, at least, we only depend on the FreeBSD
team.

- Rahul