Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:54:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Multimedia <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Has anyone got the Linux RealPlayer 5.0 working?

Kris Kirby writes:
 > The information I am looking for: driver modifications, special
 > installation notes, etc. I have downloaded and attempted to use it and
 > get library errors. Of course, that is probably due to a PEBCAC.
 > (Problem exists between computer and chair, or me.) I've tried the ELF,
 > not the a.out.

Funny how events coincide.  I just joined this list to find out
whether anyone had been working on the version 5 compatibility
problem.  According to mail archives, it was reported last November
that the linux player causes the error:

LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=5, typ=0x450(P), num=0xf not implemented

I'm running -stable and still have that problem.

A lot of new content being distributed by various net sources is not
backwards compatible with the FBSD version 3 player.  Unfortunately,
Real hasn't released an FBSD version 5 even though they gave
indications of being supportive of FBSD in the past.

The good news is that Real has released a free SDK for their new
"Real Media Architecture" version 6.  This includes pre-compiled
shared libraries and binaries for FreeBSD!
http://www.real.com/devzone/sdks/rmsdk/index.html

Their "testplayer" that is included can be used as a crude but
workable helper app for new content streams that include video
and the source is included.

But better is the opportunity to write your own GUI.  I was thinking
of doing this with Tk.  But, I'm not sure what the distribution
restrictions are; will have to look into it.

(The SDK also includes APIs for writing new content handlers and
renderers on the server and client side.  Also, this new SDK supports
Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) (there's an RFC about it) and
RTP (RFC 1889) for packet protocol.)

cheers,
-david.