Date:      13 Jan 2000 10:29:51 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        "Mikhail Evstiounin" <evstiounin@adelphia.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giving a sighandler more information

"Mikhail Evstiounin" <evstiounin@adelphia.net> writes:
> > > Sorry, guys, but it requirenments of ANSI that
> sizeof(void*)==sizeof(int).
> >
> >No!  A program which assumes that an int is large enough to
> >store a pointer is BROKEN.  See this simple test program:
>

> Oliver, IT'S A REQUIRIMENTS OF  THE STANDARD!!! - NOT MY WISH!!!

Can you quote where in the standard it says this?  I believe you are
incorrect.

I don't have a copy of the actual standard document, but Kernighan and
Ritchie say nothing more than "A pointer may be converted to an
integral type large enough to hold it; the required size is
implementation-dependent."  This directly contradicts your claim.  I
*do* have an early draft (from about a year ago) of the C9x standard
document, and it says the same thing, albeit in a lot more words.

 - Lowell