Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   SCSI - Getting Started

Hi --

I'm getting started with my first installation of FreeBSD using a
SCSI harddrive.  I am using an Adaptec 1522 controller.  I have
first setup up a small (64 MB) dos partition.  I have used DOS
FDISK to setup the partition and make it active.  I used DOS to
format it with the /S option to make it bootable.  The system
will not boot from the hard drive.  I get the error:

               NO ROM BASIC
               SYSTEM HALTED

This seems to be the error message that is presented when there
is no bootable media available.

The system boots DOS fine from the floppy drive and I'm able
to access the hard drive (C:) just fine (doing things like dir, etc.).

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here?  BTW, I have
the second set of pins on J5 jumpered (which according to my
understanding is supposed to enable booting from the harddisk).

Thanks for any input.

      ... doug

P.S. - Please excuse me if this seems a bit off-topic; but, I've
found that the only real value DOS has is in setting up FreeBSD.
I've generally found it beneficial to get the hardware working
under DOS before starting with FreeBSD (or any other OS for that
matter. - ddj)
Doug Jolley    mailto://doug@bigwheel.net     http://www.bigwheel.net
         Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.