Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:48:04 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replace /rescue/vi with mined(1) with a BSD license

At 2:19 PM -0700 6/17/05, Steve Kargl wrote:
>I have taken mined(1) from DragonFlyBSD and integrated into the
>FreeBSD source tree.  This is a very lightweight full screen
>editor with builtin support for cons25 and xterm.

It would probably be helpful to add a bit more background history.
FreeBSD *had* src/release/picobsd/tinyware/mined for a short while
(a matter of days...).  Unfortunately the project had to remove it
because the license did not permit us to distribute it.

What Matt did was contact the original author and get the editor put
under a BSD license, and then he went on to make a few improvements
to it.  It is a nice, minimalist full-screen editor.  I have been
meaning to try out mined (and make sure it compiles on all our hardware
platforms, etc), and see about adding back to FreeBSD.

>Yes, it is limited in its capabilites compared with /rescue/vi,
>but saves use 360 kB of diskspace and it does not require a
>termcap file.

>Yes, I'm aware of PR bin/80256, but that appears to stalled in
>a state of limbo.

I've also been meaning to do something about that idea of a small
termcap file.  I don't remember what the PR says, but someone had a
good idea of generating the minimal termcap file from the standard
one, and putting that in /rescue.  I have a few ideas of my own so
the system would automatically pick up that minimal file.  Just a
matter of finding the time to test it all...  :-)

I think these are two separate issues, and that both are worth
doing.  I'm sure other developers will have other opinions.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org