Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:26:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@kim.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   telnet interop with SunOS and IRIX

Kim Culhan writes:

 > I have been having problems when telnet to the above on a 2.2.5-RELEASE machine.
 >
 > If, when running VI, I hit several down-arrow key strokes, at some point
 > it begins to apparently ignore the escape char and prints an upper case
 > character depending on the arrow key.
 >
 > With the Sun machine for instance, if I hit down-arrow it will, after a
 > few keys, begin to print an upper case 'B' after this point for each
 > press.
 >
 > In the case of the IRIX 5.3 machine, it won't allow any arrow keys at all.
 > It just returns a BEL character for each key press.
 >
 > If anyone has any info on this it would be very greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your terminal is set to something close but not exactly the
same as what it really is.  This is pretty common with "ansi" style
terminals.  If you're logging in from an xterm, make sure your TERM
environment variable is set to "xterm" and the rows and columns, as
showed by 'stty -a', are correct.