Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:08:06 +0000
From:      Andy Smith <andy@freebsdwiki.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -a question

--JefYhWJ8RkX3aR0a

[long lines rewrapped, please try to keep lines below about 72
characters]

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:34:16PM +0000, Jarrod Wageman wrote:
> Hello, I have a freebsd box I just set up and I am wondering about
> some things. I just ran `make buildworld` installworld and all
> that after an extensive cvsup. I still have perl version 5.6
> something. The new version according to perl.com is 5.8 I ran
> portupgrade -a and it didn't upgrade anything. Do I need to move
> to the CURRENT source tree to get these new packages installed?

No, you need to install the /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 to get perl
5.8.x.  Then if you keep your ports collection up-to-date the other
commands (such as portversion) will tell you when a newer port is
available.

Don't forget to do

 # use.perl port

if you want the port's perl to be the system default.

--=20
http://freebsdwiki.org/ - Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0xBF15490B

--JefYhWJ8RkX3aR0a

--JefYhWJ8RkX3aR0a--