Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 22:49:51 -0400
From:      Greg Childers <gchil0@pop.uky.edu>
To:        mateus@gold.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet 660 under FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE

Hi,

I use apsfilter from the ports with my HP Deskjet 660C, but if
you just want to print text and postscript files, the following
should work...

/etc/printcap contents:
--------------------
lp|HP Deskjet 660C:\
       :sh:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
       :lp=/dev/lpt0:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
       :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpif:
--------------------
/usr/local/libexec/hpif contents:
--------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
#  ifhp - Print Ghostscript simulated PostScript on a Deskjet 660C
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif

#
# Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2

#
# Read first 2 character of file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
  #
  # It is PostScript - use ghostscript
  #
  /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sOutputFile=- -\
    && exit 0

else
  #
  #Plain Text or HP/PCL so print directly include formfeed at end
  #
  echo $first_line && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
fi

exit 2
--------------------

and make sure /usr/local/libexec/hpif is executable.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Mateus wrote:

Hi!

I'm trying to make my HP Deskjet 660 printer work under FreeBSD
4.0-RELEASE, but anything seems to work. Tried several tutorials, and
howtos, configured my printcap with several filters and following
several handcaps but it still doesnt work.
It startx to work, get paper in but doesnt print anything. Sometimes it
prints a couple of characters in the top but thats all.
Anyone who made a HP Deskjet 660 work under FreeBSD,  could please mail
me (mateus@gold.com.br) how can I do the same?

Thanks a lot

Mateus
mateus@gold.com.br