Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:09:44 -0500
From:      jritchie@panasas.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jritchie777@yahoo.com
Subject:   Need to be able to determine amount of memory in system and turn  off virtual memory...

Hello,
	I am writing a program to test memory on FreeBSD, and have some
questions.  I use sysctl to show me the amount of hw.physmem in the system,
and I am able to allocate through malloc more than the value given by
hw.physmem.  In addition I commented out the swap device in the /etc/fstab
to turn off virtual memory, yet what I can allocate through malloc is the
same either way.  The question is:
	1.) how do I determine reliably the amount of memory in the system
(and if possible how
	     much the kernel is taking away),
	2.) and how do I turn off virtual memory?
Any hints, suggestions, code snipets will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
J.Ritchie
System Programmer
Panasas