Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:31:07 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basing freebsd.dtd on DocBook 4.1

On Thursday,  1 February 2001 at  0:58:37 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:47:45AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 31 January 2001 at  5:44:43 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I think it's time to consider basing the FreeBSD Docbook customisation
>>> layer on DocBook 4.1, rather than 3.1.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, or objections?
>>
>> It would make it even more difficult to use gmat.  gmat's pretty
>> rough, but it produces good quality output.  Of course, you could fix
>> gmat (and earn Lenny Muellner's undying admiration).
>
> I'd love to use gmat, but so far, I can't even get "gmat gmat.sgm" to
> produce any output.  I'm working through the code, but without some
> documentation that describes the basic concept behind how gmat is
> supposed to work, it's hard going.

Tell me about it.

> I'd be surprised if gmat is long for this world -- between DSSSL on
> the SGML side, and (more importantly) XSL on the XML side, custom
> hacks like this are likely to go away.
>
> FWIW, this is what I get when running gmat on gmat.sgm -- the only
> change to my environment was adding the ORA DTD catalog to the
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES environment variable.
>
> gmat.troff --verbose --delete-driver-file --source-files "gmat.sgm" drv-nik.3l
> Updating BOOKFILES...
> cp: BOOKFILES: No such file or directory

Hmm.  I wonder if that's a problem.  I have a BOOKFILES file, but I
don't use it.  gmat seems to be updating it, though.

> gmat.troff version 0.1 patchlevel 14.
> Creating formatting directory fmt
> Creating formatting directory fmt/toc
> Creating formatting directory fmt/index
> Creating formatting directory fmt/exlist
> Creating formatting directory fmt/figlist
> Creating formatting directory fmt/tablist
> Fontstack: reading /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/sgmlmacs...done.
> Page: 1.
> gmat.troff: last page (1) - first page (1) + 1 = page count (1)
> /usr/bin/troff warnings:
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `YR'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `YI'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `YB'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `CWR'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `CWI'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:2: warning: can't find font `CWB'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:3: warning: can't find font `GR'
> /usr/local/share/gmat/macros/tmac.Ginit:3: warning: can't find font `GBI'

Hmm.  You seem to be missing a lot of fonts.

> File , pages  to 1
> :0: unsafe to execute request `mv'

This comes from not using the -U flag to groff.  It's complaining
about the shell escapes.  Run it like this:

  gmat --fopt -U filename

--fopt specifies a list of flags ("...") which get passed to groff.
-U says "be insecure".  This should really be the default, since gmat
just won't work without it.

This reliance on command lines rather than Makefiles gets on my
nerves.  I've written the following basic Makefile for my book:

SUFFIXES =	.sgml .ps

CHAPTERS =	introduction.sgml concepts.sgml installation.sgml \
		differences.sgml startup.sgml files.sgml dns.sgml \
		intro.sgml network-troubleshooting.sgml startup.sgml

CHAPS    =	${CHAPTERS:.sgml=}
POSTSCRIPT =	${CHAPTERS:.sgml=.ps}

all:
	gmat --book --fopt -U -f