Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:02:50 -0400
From:      Tom Gioconda <tgiocond@idsonline.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ultra ATA Hard Drives and controllers with FreeBSD

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on a Quantum Fireball ST
6.4 gig Ultra ATA hard.  It is controlled by a Promise UTLRA33 Ultra ATA
controller.  However, FreeBSD is reporting the drive's size incorrectly.
At first, I thought I had just tried to install without LBA on (I also
have a FAT32 primary partition on this drive for Win95).  But I checked,
and it is on.  So then I attempted to set what the disk geometry was,
since it seemed that was all that is needed.  I tried two geometries:
the "real" on with the large number of cylinders, and the LBA modified
one with remapped cylinders and heads.  Both times it had no effect
aside from the label at the top of the fdisk screen telling me about the
disk.  I couldn't create anything new.  Also, sometimes when I tried, it
created this really huge partition, but the offsets didn't match up, and
the installation program reports a fatal error and send me to a reboot.

Does this mean I'm screwed and I'll have to buy a small hard drive just
for this OS?  All I need is a 500M-1gig FreeBSD partition.  Please reply
directly to me; I don't subscribe to this list.

----
This message was written by Tom Gioconda
tgiocond@vt.edu