Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 19:00:55 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

I seem to be having an interesting problem creating a CD that is bootable
on Alpha. I built a release (too a while on the PWS600au but it got there).
Then created an .iso using the /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh
Subsequently ran setcdboot to make it bootable. Ran cdrecord and wrote the
whole thing on CDRW. All mkisofs, setcdboot, cdrecord, done on the PWS
itself.

On trying to boot I get the phenomenon listed below: ALL CAPS filenames.
mkisofs is version 1.14, freshly built from ports. Mounting the CD under
FreeBSD produces lower case filenames like we are used to.

Should be mkisofs' fault I would assume. Any clues? I going thru this
exercise to be able to test CD booting on the big iron machines I have
at work.

Wilko

OSF PAL rev: 0x1000000020116
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 1.0
(root@miata.wbnet, Sun Aug  5 10:58:15 GMT 2001)
Memory: 262144 k
\
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
no bootable kernel
/

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok ls
/
 d  BIN
 d  BOOT